Welcome to the Kent County Photographic Association Ross Cup 2019
The Ross Cup is held annually between Associates affiliated to the KCPA.
This Competition is open to photographers who are members of photographic clubs affiliated to the KCPA.
Associate Club’s must submit 8 mounted prints, these mounts must be 50 x 40 cm.
No more than two prints from any one member may be included in each club’s entry.
Prints will be judged individually and awarded points out of 20. The Associate Club submitting the images with the highest aggregate score will be awarded The Ross Cup.
Entries to be submitted via entry form, which will be sent to external competition secretaries.
No photographs accepted in a previous KCPA event shall be eligible for re-entry in the same event in subsequent years, but they are eligible for other KCPA competitions.
Any photo found to have been entered into a past competition of the same name will be scored as “0”
Photographers must only have their images entered for one associate club.
Image titles must not exceed 35 characters.
No more than 3 qualifications to be accredited to a photographer on the entry form.
All aspects and the copyright of every image must be that of the photographer and be exclusively their work. They may not have included any element that was originated by or is the copyright of other photographers or use clip-art or elements from stock photography, this includes textures.
No watermarks, stamps or embossing’s, titles or photographer’s name or qualifications are to appear on the face of the print..
All entries are accepted in good faith. The entrant agrees to indemnify the Judge, Competition Organisers and other related parties against any litigation that may arise if entered images do not have the necessary permissions to be published in Competition-related documents, or on any website associated with the Competition.
The Competition Organisers reserve the right to reproduce any entry (without fee) in connection with the competition (e.g. on KCPA website). However, the new entry form has been designed to record whether or not the club’s individual member gives permission to have their image(s), shown in the catalogue and on the KCPA website.
If a club member does not wish to have their image shown, while it will be shown on the day of the event, it will not be published online via the KCPA website or in the catalogue produced for the competition. Instead a blank image will be displayed showing just the image title and photographer’s name.
The Competition Organisers’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
The Competition Organisers have the right to withdraw acceptances should it become apparent that an image was ineligible.
The Competition Organisers reserve the right to either reject an image, or to not show an accepted image, if it is deemed offensive to a wider public audience.
The Competition Organisers reserve the right to reject images which do not meet the entry criteria.
Copyright remains with the photographer.
Submission of entries will be taken as acceptance of all conditions.
Image Preparation Guidance – Prints
- Print mounts must be 50 x 40 cm and a maximum of 4mm thick. The actual image can be any size, but mounts must not deviate from these sizes.
- The title of the image, the photographer’s name and camera club/society should be written on the back of the image in the TOP RIGHT HAND CORNER, this text will be also be used to determine the orientation of the print. Please use the label template provided to fill in and print your labels from.
- The images should then be ordered as shown on the entry form, that you fill in.
- The entry form should be printed out and must be included with your package of prints. Please ensure that your images are packed all together, and not individually. Please assist the competition organisers by making sure your print box has your club name on.
- Prints should be delivered to a “Drop off Point” in a Print Box or contained within suitable packing, or sent by post or Courier. You will notice on the entry form a number which has been generated to correspond with the drop off point you are using. We have 4 drop off points this year and hope clubs will find this beneficial in that they can deliver to an address nearer to themselves.
- Prints can be produced using conventional silver-based technology or by electronic or mechanical means and may be third party processed. Prints that have been produced or enhanced by electronic means are allowed provided that the components used to produce the final image are the original photographic work of the photographer.
- Un-mounted prints will not be accepted.
- Framed prints are not permitted.
- Prints must be capable of being stored with other work without causing damage due to poor mounting and/or the use of abrasive or sticky materials e.g. Velcro or Sellotape. Failure to satisfactorily mount prints may result in them being rejected, with no refund being given.
- All the print entries will be displayed on the day of the Ross Cup event.
As the Ross Cup is a print competition, the judge will only see and score the prints. Prints selected by the judge for comment or award will be projected for the benefit of the audience at the event.
- Image titles will be read during the selection process and will appear in the catalogue and on the results website. Please check your spelling and capitalisation!
Entries must be submitted using the Competition entry form sent along with the invitation to enter from the KCPA. This is the only accepted method of entry.
Entry Fees and payment
For the Ross Cup 2019 the fee is £32.00 per Club Entry.
The entry must be paid for via cheques made payable to “KCPA” or via Paypal.
(Please put your clubs name on the back of cheque)
Alternatively, payments can be made using Paypal by following the instructions below.
- Log into your Paypal account.
- Click on Pay or send money option.
- Click on send money to friends and family option.
- Enter email address as follows firstname.lastname@example.org
- Amount must be £32.00
- Click on “Add a note”, type in NAME OF CLUB
- Click continue.
- Click send money now
Details of entrants will be stored and used solely for the purposes of administering this annual competition, including informing entrants of subsequent Kent County Photographic Association exhibitions and competitions.
The Ross Cup is awarded to the Associate with the highest total marks in the competition from 8 Prints.
The Premier Award and Mick Smithson Shield are awarded to the individual photographer who in the opinion of the Judge produced the best Print in the Competition.
The Lakeland Holidays Landscape Trophy is awarded to the individual photographer who in the opinion of the Judge produced the best landscape image in the Competition.
A Trophy is presented to the most improved Club, defined by the Club with the highest placement as compared to their position in the competition the previous year.
Merit Award Certificates (maximum 10) may be awarded at the discretion of the Judge.
The Ross Cup is the mechanism for the KCPA to choose its representatives for the PAGB Inter-Federation Print competition. The two clubs with the highest scores are invited to represent the KCPA in this National Competition.
An Illustrated catalogue will be produced listing all of the submitted images, individual scores and Associate Club/Society total scores and positions. The catalogue will be issued to all KCPA clubs that enter the competition and attendees on the day.
Collection of competition prints
Your club representative can collect their images once the Ross Cup event has ended on 16th November 2019 @ Ditton.
If you are unable to attend please note your images will be available for collection from Tracy Hughes 6 Cook Close, Lordswood, Chatham. During 2nd -8th December.
Invitation to enter sent via email: 16th August 2018
Opening date for entries: 17th August 2019
Closing date for entries: 30th September 2019
The Awards Presentation: 16th November 2019
Judge: Caroline Colegate APAGB ARPS
If you have any questions please contact Tracy Hughes via email@example.com or telephone 01634 303540.